Homework

I received the second assignment of the year .. Building something with boxes. Given that I'm lousy with arts and craft, I was happy that the frequency of such homework has not been high.

So last week, I asked Cayen what he wants to make and he said the grey Patrol dog and so I decided to see if that's doable with the styrofoam box that I was about to throw away. But I don't have any paints except watercolour and the effect was not good. And he didn't have much patience to colour the whole styrofoam after a while too. So I decided to abandon mission early as we had only started on the body. 

I procrastinated the assignment as long as I could and finally it was due. And I wasn't Keen to buy/waste brand new materials for this so I tried to gather whatever old boxes we can recycle. Finally, we decided to build his house. And I asked him to help stick the building name, his name etc with alphabet stickers which he was very happy to do. 

Finally, I asked him to help narrate something in Chinese and I helped him to write. It was also through this process that I learned that he's mainly processing info in English instead of Chinese, so I had to prompt him in English. 

Me: describe to me what you want to say... 
C: (silence)
Me: how about we say I love our house ? How to say in Chinese?
C: 我喜欢我的房子...
Me: how about we describe the 5th floor, there's a swimming pool. How do you say it in Chinese? 
C: (pause) .. 水池?
Me: ok, what else do you like?
C: 我爱饼干
Me: 还有呢?
C:我爱饼干和.我爱饼干
Me: erm, you cannot say like this. If you want to use 和,it's like "and", you have to put something behind. 
C: 我爱饼干,我爱饼干盒!I like biscuits and the biscuits box... (he used English to translate because he's sensing I don't quite get it.) 
Me: (lol) I had though he meant 和 instead of 盒 so I kept correcting him. But looks like he's not wrong. 

Then he proceeded to point out that there's different contents in each of the cereal box. 100, 90 and 80 ...

At first I didn't realise get it .. Then on close look, I realised that he's pointing to the Calory count on each box , which happened to be in descending order! Kids and their observation! 

I don't know how he finally did at show and tell because he didn't tell. But it was quite an interesting exercise for me. 



The failed attempt 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)