Cayen first overnight camp

I think I’m starting to have an inkling on what tough it will be to send my boys off to army in future. Sending him to a 4 night camp was already quite a daunting experience. 

I was worried for him on so many fronts. How would he wake up in the morning if he couldn’t hear the alarm? How would he get along with three stranger roommates? How would he work in a big team for the hackathon when he’s amongst the youngest in the camp at 10 years (think the age range is from 10-18). How would he handle the laptop, iPad and iPhone without losing them? Would he know how to sign on to wifi? Lots of questions on my mind. 

Well, here was how the days went last week : 

Tuesday
After our breakfast together, we went him off to D resort where all the kids will be staying. They will be ferried to NUS on a daily basis thereafter for their activities. I gave him a quick low down on how to use the phone and WhatsApp just in case since he doesn’t have a phone and only used it to play games. 

Whilst waiting for the activities to start, he whatsap us a picture and some emojis. I took it that he know how to use WhatsApp. That night, he called Ah Pa too , as he has some wifi issue in his room. 

Wednesday
8.50am: Ah Pa received a bunch of OTP - think he’s trying to assess NUS wireless. We WhatsApp and SMS him. No response. Finally I got a message at 2pm from him on SMS and he said he used WhatsApp but then he didn’t answer further when I tried to ask him if he woke up that morning at 4.30am for the beach outing. No response till 10.30pm. 

Thursday 
No response to my 5 SMSes. 

Friday 
No response to my greetings on Friday. Am not sure if I will see him at the presentation since I didn’t hear from him since Wed. Was relieved to see him in the live Facebook sharing. 

Finally, we saw him present and while his segment was short, I thought it was good he was not tongue tied when it came to his turn or when someone posed him a question. 

After we came back, I asked why he didn’t reply all our messages. He said each one only had one socket in their room. 

His friend from SIMCC

One of his roommates 
174 participants this year 

His presentation group 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)