Teaching books

Before the arrival of the baby, I had anticipated that his dysfunctional behaviour will re-emerge and (indeed it did) - he would scratch and bite if he doesn't get his way. I think it's because he doesn't know how to manage his emotions very well as yet, so I figure using stories will help since he loves story telling. 

Hence, I had gone to Amazon to buy some books that would teach him these concepts since we might not be present when he gets into such conflicts with other kids in school. Also, he's more receptive and attentive during bedtime reading so I suppose those are our best chance to reinforce those concepts instead of pure nagging. 

Hence, I had bought a bunch of  books from Amazon and have read half of it so far - he was quite taken with all of them and even asked me why I didn't buy the whole series that he saw on the back of the book i.e. Germs are not for sharing , Tails are not for pulling.

I pretended to lament that there's no need to buy since he's still hitting and yelling despite that I have bought those "hands are not for hitting" and "voices are not for yelling". Cayen then said, " but you must remind me right? Sometimes I forget, you must remind me.."

Well, that's quite reasonable. In fact, I was a little taken aback by his quick comeback that was amusing yet made so much sense. And most importantly, it reminded me that good habits are not built overnight .. We just gotta have patience. That coming from a four year old was deep. 

So I told him that I will buy those titles on condition that he must stop wasting tissue paper, water , milk and food . 

Will update in a month to see if his behaviour has improved. 

These are his current reads:


Focus: on not interrupting 

Focus: how to handle frustration 

Focus: how to not throw a tantrum when you don't get your way 

To be read: books on how to manage his anger 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)