A good week

I've been down with flu the past week as the nightly awakenings hence interrupted sleep in the last month have taken a toll on my health, despite my efforts to compensate by sleeping in later. 

This week, my helper covered my duties and I slept more regular hours. This also meant that I could send Cayen to school and be awake to play with baby Cayson when he's at his cutest and most vibrant time of day, chuckling and "talking" non-stop. 

Not sure if it's by coincidence but Cayen's behaviour in school this week was the best in weeks.  A few things that's different this week: 
- I sent him to school personally and would prep talk / role play with him in the car on what to do when his friend wants to play with his toys (correct answers: either ask for a bit more time to play or share the toys) , what to do if someone cuts his queue (right answer: to gently inform person that queue is behind him or just let it go) . These were the common triggers for conflicts in school from what I observed previously. 
- I got daily updates from teachers and rewarded him for good behaviour on his rewards chart 
- yesterday I got him some piglets moon cakes to share with his classmates
- on a good school day, after he ate his dinner on his own in a cooperative manner, ah pa would bring him out for Pokemon hunt . We also stayed home on the day he didn't finish his dinner properly just to show the suspension of privilege. 
- I engaged and distracted him in play after he returns from school so that he had no time to watch TV or iPad at all. The only exception was to watch Disney English as a reward that he redeemed using his ten stars achievement on his rewards chart. 
- reintroduced the cane (or the threat of it) for serious offences 
- reintroduced adding of fish oil into his diet and tried to reduce sugar intake. 
- tried to get him to sleep by 10pm so he's not too sleepy the next morning. Only succeeded 50% of the time but it's still slightly earlier than before. 
- he should be feeling better this week versus previous weeks as he's recovering from an ear infection. 

Given that his behaviour has taken a positive turn this week after a dismal previous fortnight, I think I will start to do a daily tracker of activities and behaviour outcomes to see if I can identify and establish certain routines where we can continue to encourage good behaviour and reduce triggers for bad ones. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)