Milestone

Today looks like any other day, until I received an email congratulating me on my 13 years’ anniversary.

It’s been so crazy busy of late that I didn’t realise it’s 16th May today, a date I recall fondly every year as it marked the start of a long relationship with the bank and with my friends. 

It’s surprising to many that I have lasted so long in my second job . After all, 3 years is about the average lifespan of a job in many industries. Well, guess I have had the good fortune of rotating across many departments and it just doesn’t feel that long when one is on different assignments every 2-3 years, working on different products with different people. 

Not many people can confidently say that they love what do , but I’m glad to say that I mostly do. 

I particularly enjoy the times where I get to create products or services from scratch , where nothing has existed prior to that. I started my first project with a digital in principle approval solution for mortgage 13 years back before smartphones existed, then instant decisioning /approval for cards in 3 countries, and now digital acquisitions for mortgage. 

Looks like I’m fated with technology and digital somehow ; my interest and passion continues to burn strong after so many years , if not stronger than ever.  

Some people ask me how I find so much time or energy to self learn , blog, or do so many things. Well, for me , I think motivation to learn is a key driving force.

This same force drives me to spend many late nights  reading online articles or videos on SEO, SEM, blockchain , crypto or anything new and fascinating, all done in my precious 2 hours when waiting for Cayson  to wake for his milk. 

Basically, I don’t watch TV or Netflix or stone around. No gaming either. That’s too consuming. I remembered trying to watch drama during maternity but two months just zoomed past without me knowing and there’s no end. Once you start a season , you cannot stop . 

Also, while I would like to think I’m a bit more fashionista when young, nowadays I try to go for the one piece dresses. Why ? Cox I don’t even need to spend one minute thinking of how to wear and what to match. I was adopting that concept before Mark Zuckerberg made his same t-shirt theory cool. But it’s true , one minute saved on choosing and one minute that can be used on something else. One minute hugging your kids or reading the latest news headlines. 

I also orchestrated my routines in such a way that I can make up, get changed, and get out of the house in 15 minutes max. That’s achievable with straight hair (rebonded), 3 items for make up, one-piece dresses, no accessories. Sounds spartan but less is actually more. 

Having less choices that are truly not important in the scheme of things facilitate and enables decisiveness, a trait very useful to busy working mums on top of a whole bunch of other survival skills like multitasking or fierce prioritisation. 

Lastly, having a village of people to help run the house and manage the kids is so important. Because the husband , the grandmother and grandfather all chip in, everything just auto pilot a lot better even with two super active kids. 

Ok, baby is stirring so time to go. Overall, it’s been a good run thus far. Look forward to many more good years of breaking new ground. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)