First day of school - P4

He’s started new school today. Given his usual personality, I was worried about him being able to make friends today . So I tried to ready him ahead of time using my tips of making friends.
1. Smile 
2. Introduce yourself 
3. Try to find common interests - minecraft , demon slayer , anything 
4. See if anything else is shy like you, go make friends. 

He said it’s “embarrassing” , it doesn’t work that way. It’s  not so easy. I asked why. He said he read from “Diary of a wimpy kid”. Erm, how is that a good reference ? Well, parents, be careful of what they read. It drives irrational fear. 

In the end , we even gave him an “Among Us” mask to promote conversations (but sadly it didn’t work). Will try Demon Slayer tomorrow I guess. 

Anyway, guess it’s really up to him at the end of the day. I eventually became more concerned about his ability to scale six floors in his school, especially with that huge bag that looked so heavy. That day, we did a trial run without the bag whilst buying books, he gave up after four floors. 

Verdict after today 

1. Food in canteen was good. He had chicken rice and  watermelon in a cup which cost 70 cents. It’s cheaper than SJI by 30 cents. Why he bought chicken rice is that there’s no queue. Good choice. “Anyone chit chat over lunch” I asked. He said that everyone was quiet and simply ate. 

2. School bus arrived late so they sang anthem in a separate class. 

3. He tried to ask many questions in class like “where to find this, how to do that?” but apparently he asked so many that teacher ignored him as it would all be covered slowly over the entire day which he said it’s boring. Anyway, I don’t think it’s a good way to make a first impression. 

4. He did manage to refill his bottle and go to toilet. He forgot where the cafe is. But guess first things first. 

5. He lugged back his big bag of books and big back of files. I asked him why. He replied that he didn’t to have it stolen and it’s too chunky to be placed under his seat. While I think it should be left behind in school, I think his reasoning is not wrong too. Guess one more day of lugging up 6 floors. And oh yeah, he made it up the 6 floors! 

6. Highlight of the day (perhaps for me) . He made a new friend! He spoke to his new friend on the school bus the entire trip back. Apparently they started talking after she helped him with the seatbelt. He was so thirsty after that that he couldn’t talk much to me. I had to wrestle all the above out of him after much effort. 

So yes, that’s the start of a new journey for him in the new school. Somehow I think he should do just fine since he’s ok with the canteen food and have made one friend. Fingers crossed. 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)