Eventful travel

Before meeting E, I decided to go to TST to try look for some shoes for Cayen. Walked the street and decided to have some tea before that as I haven't had lunch yet as I was polishing up the slides for tomorrow.

After a small bowl of 雲南米線, I continued to look for shoes. After walking down the street, I finally found a shop that seems to offer it. Just as I was about to step into the shop, suddenly I feel something flowing through my nose. I scrambled for my tissue as it felt very sudden and I certainly didn't have any flu to start with.

When I wiped with my tissue, I was shocked to find that my tissue was soaked with blood. I tried to wipe a few more times and each time, more blood came out. I tried to flag a taxi off the street but there just wasn't any. And I tried to see if I could look for help but it was a bit hard to speak through my tissue. I knew quite clearly that if I left go, my nose and chin would be soaked with blood.

So I decided to walk quickly to the nearest shopping centre to get some paper as I was completely out of tissue. And as usual I have to go up two or three floors to get to a toilet. When I went in, there was a whole queue of people but I decided to just rush to the hand wipes out there.

I guess I spotted quite a few stares as I was wiping blood from my nose but no one came to help, until the toilet lady saw me and asked me if I'm having a nosebleed. She asked me to tilt my head back and slapped my forehead lightly with cold water, She says it works very well as her daughter used to have nosebleeds.

At first I was hesitant as I never had such a bloody nosebleed before and I thought I read somewhere not to tilt the head backwards? Anyway, soon I just followed her instructions when the blood didn't show signs of abating.

I continued to do that for a while and the bleeding seemed to stop.

Next I quickly went out on the street to try flag a cab. However, along that street, it's all Kowloon taxis and changing shift time so nobody would take me. I got rejected 5 times before I decided to ask a security guard for help. Still I didn't get much. The next taxi was not willing to take too though he say he will drive me to the Hong Kong Island taxis when I explain I wanted to see a doctor.

I contemplated taking the MTR but was worried that the bleed would start once I am inside. And I realised that walking seemed to aggravate it so I reckoned taxi would be better.

Finally I hopped in and he drove me a few streets to the next taxi queue. Finally I am on my way back to Hk island. Actually the lack of taxis or the willingness to go to the HK side might have been aggravated by the strikes that are taking place tonight. Apparently, this time it's quite serious.

Now I am writing this as the outpatient clinic is packed and wait queue is long (at least an hour).

And as luck would have it, hospital wifi is down and there's nothing much I can do but to Blog unless I'm prepared to surf at roaming rates.

After seeing the doctor, he didn't advise much but gave me some moisturizer. He said air in the plane might be too dry. He also advised me to consult an ENT when I am back just to be sure though he said it's probably nothing.

Anyway, after the visit, I tried to get a taxi to no avail. I decided to be thick skinned and ask someone who's waiting there if she's waiting for a taxi (hoping to hitch a ride down if possible). To my pleasant surprise, she's heading exactly where I am heading so I unabashedly hopped in. She's very nice, as she wouldn't let me pay even when I volunteered repeatedly to try pay my share. 人间有温情 .. 

I always get hit with such random events every time I travel for work.
The last time, I encountered typhoon no. 9, worst in 11 years and my luggage went missing for 36 hours, all when I was heavily pregnant. Only saving grace was that I got my travel insurance to back me up. 

Anyway, before my day would end, I had another minor episode of nosebleed. This time round, I followed the doctor's advice  and managed to stop the bleed fairly fast.   Although I was still quite worried the rest of the night that I would bleed in my sleep and stain the pristine white bed sheets. Thankfully , I didn't. 

Anyway, tip of the day when you encounter a nosebleed: Press the soft part of your nose, firmly against your face. Bend head down slightly (not tilt your head backwards). Sit down and stop walking, as you may faint.

Hope you never have to but just in case. 

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)