The growth mindset

I read some articles before on how we should be careful about how we praise a kid. Later on, I was also introduced to the concept of a Growth Mindset at Little Executive that also covers it.

"Growth mindset is about having a mindset that allows insight to emerge from failures, resilience to be built from mistake and every misstep an opportunity to be better." - little executive's website 

Hence, since then , I'm very careful with my choice of words with Cayen . I do not praise outcomes or how smart he is , but will always praise his efforts instead. And with every teaching moments that arise, I will emphasize that we do something well because we have practised very hard and we never give up. 

For instance, I told him about how I tried the Yin and Yang yoga today and it's really tough for me since it's my first lesson. And he asked me if the others felt the same. I said no, they were much stronger than me. However, even though if I was not good today, I will not give up and will practise and practise and I will be better in future. 

Then, he asked me if I will be better than the rest. I told him that it's not important to always "win" or to be better than the rest. In this case, it's for health and personal fitness so I just need to practise till I become as good as them. He seemed to get the concept. 

Later, as usual, he bargained for bedtime stories. I'm very tired as usual, especially after the gruelling yoga session. I asked him if he wanted one good story or two average ones since I have limited brain juice left. 

He promptly replied that he wanted two good ones. I tried to explain again that I'm limited in brain juice now and could only do one good one.

He said ernestly, " you try .. you try.."

Argh... . He has learnt well but it also means that I cannot squirm out of this since I gotta practise what I preach. 

Trying to be funny 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)