Things to note during pregnancy - some are not so intuitive!

Being a typical kiasu mum, I am very careful with the food I eat and what I use for both my pregnancies. My mantra is "rather safe than sorry". Also, some of these things below are not that intuitive at all hence, I am writing down to share with all of you as you may not google as much as I do over everything. 

Please note that I am not a doctor, so when in doubt, ask your doctor. 

I am ordering this in order of common knowledge to the uncommon ones. Starting with the common knowledge ... 

1. Don't eat raw foods 
This means no salads, sashimi , half cooked beef steaks (sobs!) and runny eggs. Also, I am also careful of fresh juices and certain types of cheese if they are unpasteurised. 

This is to avoid risk of contamination with coliform bacteria, toxoplasmosis, and salmonella.

Sources: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/foods-to-avoid-during-pregnancy/
http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-drink-unpasteurized-juice-during-pregnancy_1246870.bc

2.  Don't drink alcohol and have less caffeine 


I try not to drink alcohol (though I had a few before I know I was pregnant..opps) And since it's hard to go without a coffee/tea , I still drink a cup of coffee/tea per day (though I avoid in the first trimester just to be safe) . And I usually try to ask for decaf if the option exists (I realise most places don't serve decaf; Starbucks do.)

3. Don't eat cooling foods in first trimester 


Per old wives' tales, I try to avoid too much overly cooling fruits like green tea, bird nest, barley and watermelon in 1st trimester. However, per my recent research into TCM, I can't find much info on avoid cold stuff in first trimester but this article talks about eating "warming foods" and to avoid eating very hot, very cold or overly spicy stuff to avoid skin issues. 

http://www.shen-nong.com/eng/lifestyles/food_nutritional_needs.html

4. Don't skip the Exercise 
From week 20 onwards, I signed up for prenatal yoga , to learn breathing techniques to aid birthing and to build strength to be able to carry the weight of the baby in utero and thereafter. While I didn't have a natural birth eventually, I thought the exercise helped with the aches.  

5. Don't assume your skincare and cosmetics are safe  
There are certain substances that may not be good for the baby. When in doubt, I don't use products without clear indication of ingredients and I would clear it with my doctor.

To be super kiasu , you may want to avoid products with these ingredients:
Avage, Fabior, Tazorac (tazarotene)Avita (tretinoin)Differin (adapelene)Panretin (alitretinoin)Retin-A, Renova (tretinoin)Retinoic acidRetinolRetinyl linoleateRetinyl palmitateTargretin gel (bexarotene)

Source: http://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc

6. Don't eat too much vitamin A 
Vitamin A is good, but too much is not. For instance, eating some carrots is no issue though I avoid things like beef/pork/other animal livers as they are very high in vitamin A. I also avoid supplements with high doses of Vitamin A. 

Source:  http://www.nytimes.com/1995/10/07/us/study-links-excess-vitamin-a-and-birth-defects.html

7. Don't clear the cat litter 
I have 3 cats at home so I make sure that I don't clear or even go near the cat litter in case of toxoplasmosis. 

Source: http://m.petmd.com/cat/care/evr_ct_pregnancy_and_cat_litter_toxoplasmosis

8. Don't overheat yourself 
I avoid the sauna , steam room, hot yoga, or exercising too long under the hot sun (rare). Drinking lots of water and wearing loose clothing help to keep one cool too.  

Source: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a623/preventing-overheating-during-exercise

9. Don't eat  medicine or Traditional Chinese Medicine or apply ointments without consultation with doctor  
There are some medicine that may harm the fetus . For instance, recently I sprained my hand after giving birth, and realised that the Tiger Balm & Salonpas plaster are not suitable for use during pregnancy. This is what I got from the Salonpas website "A doctor must be consulted before use during the first 6 months of pregnancy. The patch may not be used during the last 3 months of pregnancy because it may cause complications." 

I dug further and realised that it is due to the Methyl Salicylate ingredient (common in many of these pain relief plaster/ointment) which is not recommended during pregnancy and nursing! I threw away my breastmilk (sobs!) just to be safe after I unknowingly applied 1 plaster for 6 hours.  

Even for common headache or flu medicine, please check with your doctor before taking. Not everything is safe, especially the new drugs that might not have stood the test of time. 

For TCM, certain herbs cannot be taken during pregnancy too. As such, pls consult a physician to confirm before taking any nourishment. 

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4204/methyl-salicylate-topical/details/list-precautions 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)