Games


Cayen is a very active kid . Hence, the challenge when bringing him out is to find sufficient ways to entertain or engage him, especially we are quite hassle free parents who don't like to bring many toys or use the iPhone or iPad (unless we absolutely have to). 

A game that I have devised over time is to "spot the logo" game. So for example, his favourite is the "MasterCard" game. When we are in a shopping centre, he will point out to me where are the MasterCard logos and recently his ability to spot small logos in obscure places surprises & surpasses me at times. He also recognises the coffee bean free coffee & handicapped sign.


How it all started was that whenever we take cabs, I need to find ways to keep him still throughout the ride. Before he was interested in cars and taxis, the most immediate tool I could find without groping & struggling was the immense amount of decals on the taxi windows. The Mastercard sign for some reason is always very prominent and almost in every cab. Next was the promotion to get free Coffee Bean coffee if you swipe your card for payment. So after a few rides and games, he started to recognise all the signs. 

As for the handicapped sign, I was teaching him counting by pointing out all the items I could find around me that were in multiples. So when I ran out of things to show him, I spotted 3 handicapped signs at the lift lobby. I repeated to him a few times to entertain him. Little did I realise that he took it all in and pointed out to me a few days later in a very excited fashion whenever he is near a handicapped sign. 

Summary: Kids learn things very fast and sometimes it is worthwhile pointing out things excessively and repeating it a few times. You will be surprised when you realise he actually remembers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)