Mottos

Cayen told me to stop at this monkey figurine at the store as he wanted to take a picture. I flatly refused because he had been disobedient. Instead of walking properly, he kept sliding to the ground and kneeling there with every few steps. 

I told him sternly, “remember the motto? You don't listen to me, I don't listen to you. " 



He looked quite amused and said laughingly, " what motor? Motor psycho (he meant cycle). Is it motor psycho?" 

As usual, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

But actually I like to devise mottos as they are easier for him to remember and reinforce concepts. For instance, I have this other motto/question.., 

"Do you want 10 times yes, 1 time no? Or 10 times no 1 time yes?" He would always looked pained and says "10 times yes and 1 time no" because it means he can't do what he want to do. 

Before using this motto, I always emphasize that I am saying yes (since it's so hard to find occasions when it happens) to give him the perception that I am usually very agreeable.  I explained to him that I always say yes to him except when it's wrong or dangerous. Then, when I say no, I find that it's easier for him to accept that I'm saying no and he will stop insisting. 

Thereafter,  whenever he's about to do something naughty or something dangerous , I will repeat my motto. I find that it works quite well.  

Another one I have to always use to discourage him from snatching things from other people or opening the fridge door himself is , "if you say 'may I have' , you may get it. If you e e e (make that tantrum sound), you don't get it" 

The trick of using motto is to keep the nagging consistent .. So they will know it.  So get creative. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)