Sleeping princes

For the entire third month, Cayson could only take short naps during the day time , only 10-15 minutes each time and only a few times a day. It didn't help that the occasional times he slept was always interrupted by the renovation right above us. 

Then, on Cayen's birthday on the 9th , as he was doing tummy time on the sofa, I gave him a hand when I saw him trying to rollover. I didn't realise that innocent flip was the start of a whole new era. 

Since that night, he had been rolling over to sleep on his tummy. For the first two to three days, he was waking up every 15-30 minutes throughout the night. Then suddenly, for the next few days, his sleeping time suddenly increased in the day and at night while he slept on his tummy. Then, for the last few nights, he had been sleeping from 8pm to 3am and drifting back to sleep easily from 3am to 7am+. And he could take 1-4 hour daytime naps too. 

So my light sleeper wasn't so light a sleeper after all - he just hasn't found his ideal sleeping position. That said, his tummy sleeping preference is disturbing as there's so many articles of SIDS associated with that and not many tangible solutions. Thankfully, I had earlier bought a mattress with holes so he can still breathe even if his face is completely down. And in the last one week, he went through intensive training in the day to lift his neck so he can strengthen it and help himself change sides more readily. And it seemed to work so far. 

On the other side of the universe, Cayen had decided to sleep on my bed the last few nights. He basically did 360 degree turns on my bed throughout the whole night and talking occasionally while I balanced gingerly on the edge. Last night, I counted that he tossed, turned, sat up, changed head position for around 15-20 times before he finally put himself to bed, while I was pretending to sleep the whole time so I could observe him and also reduced the risk of him trying to talk to me. 

At 5 plus am, I was suddenly awakened by loud crying, " ah ma, I lost the pebble stone that Ah Pa gave me. Help me find!"

He was dreaming ! However, it's so real that he was sobbing his heart out and crying, " I lost my pebble stone, help me find , help me find my pebble stone". I tried to tell him it's a dream but he was inconsolable, so I just played along and even went out of the room to try find the pebble. When I returned empty handed (of course) , I was greeted by another round of sobbing. I couldn't quite remember what I did to make him stop but I think I pretended to look again while he dozed off from all the crying. 

When he woke up officially at 7.40am after much cajoling, his first question was, "where's my pebble stone?" I quickly said jokingly, "ah pa bought you a bike yesterday and you thought he bought you a pebble stone in your dream. And you were crying cox you lost it. Silly you!"

He went quiet. I was so scared he would burst into tears again. 

And after two seconds, he grinned and laughed. Thank goodness! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)