Rough day at home

Last night, he ran a high fever of 39+ degree so today he was home all day. Day started well as he was doing painting and other games but evening was a disaster.

When I asked him to wash his hands, he filled up this container and put soap in instead of just doing a quick wash. As I was asking him to wash up and not to waste water, he purposely splashed the water every where. I forcefully turned off the tap and tried to carry him away but he got really upset. 

I guess he had no appetite as he want feeling well or perhaps as he had some tea time snacks or both. He wasn't in a mood to eat. He took a few mouthfuls and when he saw me drinking a  packet of green tea, he tried to drink but there wasn't any left I told him. He didn't believe, so he jumped up, took a chair , climbed up to try to reach for scissors on the table top. He told me he wanted to cut the packet to see if indeed there was anything left. 

Instead of snatching the scissors from him, I told him that he can make just one cut and we can resume dinner. (This usually works instead of having saying no and having a wrestle over the scissors) 

However, today he was not ready to listen. He didn't give me back the scissors and proceeded to cut the straw into multiple pieces. When I tried to get the scissors back by force, he refused to relent and was swinging it dangerously. I got super upset as it's so dangerous so I took the cane out and told him to stretch out his hands. After I explained why I had to do it, I caned him lightly on his palm. He was upset and went into the room and tried to get the clothes hanger to hit me. 

Then Ah Pa brought him to Time out. 
After he returned calmer, I tried to talk to him nicely again. 

Instead he told me that he would poke my eye, clip my nose and tape my mouth. I was mortified. And he was sent for time out again . 

After he finally calmed down, he went into the room. I hugged him and tried to explain why I did what I did , what would happen if he had injured me and what would happen if he injured other people (I showed him a YouTube video of juvenile prison) and how we were both wrong . He seemed to understand and in five minutes , he fell asleep . Not sure if this whole spectacle happened as he's super tired due to lack of afternoon or sick or both but it's most unpleasant. 

To prevent it from happening again, I proceeded to finish the book I'm reading now "the whole brained child" by Daniel J Siegel . I believe there is no real bad child, it's just that different child requires different engagement techniques at each stage of their life and it's our job as parents to go figure how to best guide and coach them.

A lighter moment in the day when he says he's painting his brother (in the house) and he's outside taking a walk. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)