Theory vs practical



Cayen is a kid with a mind of his own. Hence, efforts to stop him by saying "No" usually end up futile. 

So ever since a successful try at this alternative method, I have been using the questioning way to get him to be more obedient. 

Setting: he's trying to snatch my iPhone.

I pointed to his toy 1 and asked him , is this yours ? He said "no?" , I exclaimed "yes, it's Cayen!!"

Pointed to toy 2, 3, 4 .. And asked him the same question to which he started to say "yes" after a while. And he was quite gleeful that so many things belong to him . Finally, I asked him if the iPhone is his, he said "mama!" 

That's how he got the concept of what's his and what's mine.

Using this method, I tried to tackle his problem of climbing dangerously on stools in the house. 

Me: can you climb on a chair? (I point to chair)
cayen : no?
Me: can you climb on the stool? (I point to stool)
Cayen: no?
Me: can you climb onto the TV console? 
Cayen: no?
Me: can you climb onto the sofa?
Cayen: pauses a sec and says yes (cox we usually let him)
Me: can you climb a mountain ?
cayen: yes
Me: can you climb in the playground?
Cayen : yes 

I was quite surprised he got the answers perfectly. However, his theory is stronger than practical because after a while he started to climb again. 

And then I have to repeat the whole dialogue all over again. It's long winded but it works. 

Next I tried to tackle the recent problem of pouring his water and throwing his bottle on the floor. 

So here goes: 

Me: can you pour the water ?
Cayen: no ... 
Me: 你可不可以倒水?(to make sure he really understands me)
Cayen: no..
Me: can you throw ? 
Cayen: yes. 
Me: no! Ok, can you throw ?
Cayen: no... 
Me: ok, 你慢慢放 
Cayen: (do the 慢慢放 action)
Me: satisfied 

I was quite pleased that he understood the concept. But almost immediately he did the pouring and throwing again. 

Alas, his theory is much better than practical. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)