菜 (vegetables)

Cayen used to be fine with vegetables until two months ago.

Whenever we feed him any vegetables, either on its own or camouflaged with meat and rice, he would skilfully fish out the small piece of vegetable out of his mouth. No amount of persuasion by Ah Po works so he got away with barely eating much vegetable unless it's completely mashed and unrecognisable. 

When I lament about this, Ah Pa and Ah Po will say that he is simply taking after me , as I actually don't like veg too much. 

A few days ago, I happened to be home when he's having dinner. Again he's up to his antics of pulling out vegetable from his mouth. 

Though I really hated it, I made a grand act of devouring a piece of carrot . And then, I made a great exclamation about how vegetable tasted really good and he should eat it too. 

He looked a bit tentative. He paused and considered for a few seconds ... Then he pulled a piece of vegetable from his bowl and ate it.

I clapped and cheered wildly, just like how Germany did last night. 

He ate another piece. 

I clapped and cheered hysterically again. 

This went on for at least 8 times until he finished all the vegetable. I asked him if he wanted more and he said yes. I told him he would have to wait till tomorrow. 

Lesson : 

1. Positive reinforcement works and is super powerful. 

2. Leading by example also works as kids tend to mimic what we do. 

Still not sure how to cheer like a Germany fan ? Check this out. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)