Happy Birthday Singapore

Last week, I had bought my food and was waiting for a seat to be made available at the fully packed Mos Burger. A group of school boys saw me waiting from a distance away and beckoned me over. They then ready themselves to leave and said "you can have the seat. Bye, have a nice day!" It was such a small gesture but quite heartwarming for some reason. Perhaps it's the way they said the greetings that's so different from the usual aloof or rather muted Singaporean.

The day passed and come day end, my friend realised that he had lost his wallet. We tried to look around to no avail - it was not at Mos Burger either. We parted ways but it didn't look optimistic.

However, the next day, I heard that he found the wallet with all money intact - the wallet was somewhere on the side of of the pavement, in some kind of a corner. Not sure if it was sheer good luck or Singaporeans practise 路不拾遗 (not pick up something that doesn't belong to you). 

Coincidentally, for some strange reason, I had left my bag of books in the taxi the same night !( I haven't dropped my stuff in a long while). I called back the taxi uncle the next day. He tried to pass me back that night but I missed his call so we missed the chance. Then after two more calls, we managed to meet up the next day evening. 

I wanted to give him a tip as goodwill for going out of the way to pass it back to me. He saw me pulling out my wallet and he started to refuse. When he saw that I was still insisting , he drove off in a hurry. What a kind driver! I was so thankful and promptly wrote him a compliment - made my day and warmed my heart! How nice to live in Singapore when we actually have a chance to getting our lost things found! Anyway his name is Mr Yap and
Plate number is SHC6382Y. Hope he gets good business all year round! 

Over the last few days, we had gone for 1 of the SG50 celebration sites at Esplanade. When Cayen's balloon suddenly burst, this young man/ usher promptly came back to comfort him and came back with another replacement balloon. The same man explained and translated the English materials patiently to a Chinese speaking elderly couple. 

At another station, I overheard this young boy , perhaps 16-18 years old, explaining to this Brit couple about Singapore and its heritage. 

With all these encounters, I can't help but  feel very fortunate to be staying in Singapore and experiencing all these kindness. And coming from all these positive encounters with these youths, I feel encouraged that we are able to build a bright future ahead! 

Yes, we are an extremely young nation and the next fifty years is a big question mark. However, from these youths that I have encountered recently and the patriotism that I have seen during LKY's passing , the SEA games and the SG50 celebration , I'm convinced we have a real shot to bring Singapore to even greater heights. Majulah Singapura!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)