Be an activist today - part 2

After the previous article, one of my friends pointed us some of her perspectives on the topic as well. And I'm glad she did because those are very valid points too and in doing so, she's an activist too , but for a different cause - the toilet cleaning aunties.

Her sharing (I summarised in bullet points)

- Toilet cleaners are often old people... they work long hours with tired body and aching feet and I have seen supervisor scolding them.

- No one likes to do such a job but they are trying to make ends meet.

- While she may nicely talk to the auntie on wastage, she will not write a complaint as it may cause them their job. Perhaps they are not so educated or just want to get their job done by hook or by crook and bring the bread home. And the next day, they have to start their dreaded chores again.

- Yes, the environment matters but human matters more. That auntie may lose her rice bowl and have no means to bring money home. She knew of cases where these people work as cleaners, having no other choice.

- Perhaps her hands are aching or can't touch water so she's using paper to wipe instead of cloth.

My friend has valid points. I clarified with her that in the two instances I shared, the aunties were fairly young, one in 30s and one perhaps 40s. In the latter case, I even asked her why she did it (she made some lame excuses but she had no compelling reason really) , and did it again in the following week after I told her.

In any case, I understood what she's saying and agree that perhaps giving feedback to supervisor may not be a good idea in case they lose their jobs. Hence, while I will continue to give feedback cordially when I see wastages that's environmentally unfriendly , I will bear in mind that it's still a dreaded job after all and not complain to their company.

Great that my friend has taken initiative to share her views with me and in the process advocated for the cleaning aunties which I think is great ! We need more activists around, for all worthy causes . We need more of us - haha.

What's yours?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)