Back to square 1 & the Sshh method

Remember that it was not too long ago that I was glad that Cayen got used to school in the third week and was comfortable enough to walk into his classroom himself. 

Then there was the Vesak day break last Tue; his MC from school on Wed; school asked them to not go to school from Thursday to this tue/wed if possible due to confirmed case of HFMD. After staying at home since last Tuesday, going back to school today was a challenge all over again. 

He entered the classroom crying. Don't think he ate much as he was really upset. When we picked him up at noon, he looked really upset.. His face was painted with all these accusations and hurt emotions , "why did you all leave me here?", "where did you go?", "what took you so long" and "I miss u" .. 

Poor baby, routine derailed when he just got accustomed to it. It's ok baby .. First lesson for you : change is the only constant. You might as well get used to it. 

I started my blog-and-tell again .. Back to 1. 

Anyway, not sure if he was teething or generally unwell but he had been grumpy and very whiny the whole of the week. He would fuss at the tiniest thing, wake up crying in the middle of the night etc. His tantrums were so unstoppable that one night , I gave him a ultimatum : "if you continue to cry when mama is carrying, then mama will put you down. Sshh! " he continued to cry loudly. I reiterated my message a few more times with my finger to my lips and when he refused to stop crying, I put him down and let him cry non stop for five minutes. 

After that , I told him again, "sshh and mama will carry you", a finger to my lips. He somehow managed to get a grip over himself and stop crying suddenly. I quickly picked him up and congratulate him on being a good boy.

This type of event happened for 1-2 more times in the same day and by now he will stop most of the time if I tell him to sshh when he's in a crying fit. It's really amazing how he will just take a breath and just stop crying abruptly. It's almost like he picked up all his emotions and dumped them into a box. I was actually quite impressed that he managed to calm himself down somehow. 

Nonetheless , I hope he can
Snap out of his irritable mood and resume back to the normal chirpy baby so I need not apply the sshh method to even start with. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)