She ain't heavy, she's your classmate

He was riding on a bicycle with Alix yesterday. They were taking turns to cycle. But he said she was heavy .. Oops, that's not very polite ... 

"Hi Mummy, no major trouble today (no harm done). He played well with friends and willingly do his counting and number writings with me today without a problem. 

He just got reprimanded this morning for throwing down all the worksheets I have sorted on the table. I was working on the table while Laoshi is having chinese lesson with them. When Laoshi was finished, I got up and informed the children to go toilet break first. I turned to keep the things I sorted only to find out it's all over the floor. I asked him nicely why he threw out my things. He didn't answer. I told him I worked hard to sort these out now I have to do it again. I am quite upset with you. Maybe you don't like me that's why you don't listen to me. Maybe I will give you to another teacher. He cried and said no. I love you Ms Irish. So I told him if you love your teacher, you don't mess up things like that. He made a pinky promise with me.

I don't know why he always want to disarrange things. He seems not able to control himself. I told him that if he feels like throwing things out, he quickly put his hands in his pockets. If he doesn't have pockets, put his hands behind him. This afternoon, while transitioning from class to toilet, he saw something on the shelf and I saw that he wanted to push it away. So I immediately told him to put his hands in his pockets. He said I don't have pockets so I will hide my hands. At least that work as I was able to pre-empt before it happens. But the problem is I cannot always be at his side or watch him all the time. At least he can listen to me but not to other teachers in the afternoon. But we are working with the afternoon teachers to help manage his behaviours."

Upon hearing this, I role played with him at home on how when he really want to touch something he shouldn't or mess thing up, he must remember his "yoga hands" and put his hands behind his back. He loved the game and kept on wanting me to repeat it and so I did, for 20 times with different scenarios. Let's see if he can practise it in school thereafter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nurturing creativity

Feedback from teachers

Top 12 Tips during Confinement - revised edition (2017)